Cambridge Cardiac Rehab
Growing in wellness together
As the designated preferred provider of Cardiac Rehabilitation Services to Cambridge Memorial Hospital &
catchment of the city of Cambridge & surrounding region, we are committed to providing a comprehensive Cardiac Rehab
program that encompasses all aspects of wellness: physical, dietary, emotional, sexual, and work/ social reintegration.
Through our partners, we have put together a robust system of support, education and rehabilitation to enable cardiac
patients to return faster to full and complete lives that embrace wellness and prevention.
What is Cardiac Rehabilitation?
Most heart disease patients can help lower their risk of future heart problems if they make changes to improve their
health. Building a healthier future is a partnership between you and the doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare
professionals who can help you change your health habits. You can play an active role in making these changes.
Taking an active role in your care will help you enjoy a healthier future. Know your goals, make changes in your health
habits and take your medicines correctly. You can reduce future problems if you react quickly to new or worsening symptoms.
Cambridge Cardiac rehabilitation is a medically supervised program to help heart patients recover quickly and improve
their overall physical, mental and social functioning. The goal is to stabilize, slow or even reverse the progression
of cardiovascular disease, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease, another cardiac event or death.
What are the benefits of attending a supervised cardiac rehabilitation program?
- Regular physical activity helps your heart and the rest of your body get stronger and work better. Physical activity
improves your energy level and lifts your spirits. It also reduces your chances of future heart problems, including heart attack.
- Counseling and education can help you quit smoking, eat right, lose weight, and lower your blood pressure and cholesterol
levels. Counseling may also help you learn to manage stress and to feel better about your health.
- You have the advice and close supervision of healthcare professionals to help you improve your health and lower your risk of
future problems. These professionals can also communicate with your primary care doctor or cardiologist.
What services does this program include?
- A medical evaluation to figure out your needs and limitations. The medical staff uses this information to tailor a
rehabilitation program for you and help you set goals.
- Exercise capacity assessment to determine your current capabilities to exercise & to develop a personalized exercise prescription.
- A physical activity program tailored to your needs. Training often starts in a group setting where your heart rate and
blood pressure are monitored during physical activity. You may work with a physical therapist, exercise physiologist or
other healthcare professional. You learn how to check your heart rate and your level (intensity) of activity. Later,
you work up to more intense aerobic activity on a treadmill or exercise bike.
- Counseling and education to help you understand your condition and how to manage it. You may work with a dietitian to
create a healthy eating plan. If you smoke, you may get counseling on how to stop. Counseling may also help you cope
with depression, anger and stress during your recovery.
- Support and training to help you return to work or your normal activities and to help you learn to manage your heart condition.
How to Prepare for Class
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled class and bring these items with you:
- Indoor running shoes: Do not wear these to class. Bring them to change into.
- Athletic attire (T-shirt, long sleeve, shorts, athletic pants)
- Snack (if diabetic)
- Exercise Diary: Please hand your diary to reception at the beginning of each week.
- Gym Walking at the W. G. Johnson Centre: Mon & Fri 2:30-4:00, 31 Kribs Street, 519.740.4681 ext. 4469. Fee: $2/day + HST.
- Cambridge Mall: Open at 7:30am 7 days a week. Free. Cambridge Mall walking pamphlets are available in our fitness centre.
- St. Benedicts CSS: Outdoor track. Free.
- Monsignor Doyle CSS: Outdoor track. Free.
- Resurrection CSS: Outdoor track. Free.
- Waterloo Recreation Centre Indoor Track:
Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex indoor track, 101 Father David Bauer Drive, Waterloo N2J 4A8. Free.
Webcasts of educational sessions from Cardiac Rehab you may have missed:
Cambridge Cardiac Rehab in the News
Cambridge Cardiac Rehab- Exercise A Thon Rogers TV- Daytime
Rogers TV, Jan 25, 2014
Exercise-a-thon raises funds for cardiac rehab centre
The Record, Jan 25, 2014
Benefits of Cardiac Rehab with Cambridge Cardiac Care Centre
CTV News, Dec 6, 2010
New Cardiac Rehabilitation Centre opens in Cambridge
Daily Exchange, Dec 2, 2010
Cambridge Cardiac Rehab Centre
Snap Cambridge, Dec 1, 2010
New Cambridge cardiac rehab centre officially opens
Waterloo Record, Dec 1, 2010
New Cardiac Rehabilitation Centre opens in Cambridge
The Corporation of the City of Cambridge, Dec 1, 2010
A model for rehab
Cambridge Times, Nov 29, 2010
Cambridge Facility the New Hub for Cardiac Rehabilitation
Waterloo Record, Oct 29, 2010
Cambridge Memorial Hospital
Our partner in developing and sustaining a seamless Cardiac Rehab program for the city of Cambridge and surrounding region
Your Cardiac Rehab Team